Thursday, July 07, 2005

Wanna see my balls?

As I mentioned in a previous post, last week I got to go to a Rockies game.
And the second most exciting thing of the whole night was when my friend Ryan caught a fly ball!
(The first most exciting thing was getting to eat a hot dog, but I am sure you probably could have guessed that.)
It was great! We had just talked about what we would do if a ball was heading towards us. He said he would try to catch it and I admitted that I would probably duck for cover.
And 5 minutes later – it happened!
Garrett Atkins hit a fly ball and as it started to come down we realized it was heading right towards us! I covered my head and Ryan got ready to catch it. It came down and smacked the seats in front of us and bounced into the aisle. And Ryan got it! The really amazing thing is – this is the second fly ball I have seen Ryan get! He caught one last year at a game we went to! This kids luck is fantastic!
He currently has the ball from last year sitting on his desk at work.
I suggested that he put the new one right next to the old one.
That way, whenever a cute girl comes to his office he can have the following conversation:

Ryan: “Wanna see my balls?”
Cute Girl: "What?"
Ryan: "They're official."
Cute Girl: "What's official?"
Ryan: "My balls...wanna see them?"

All this baseball talk reminds me of a great question one of my friends asked at game:

What would your into music be as you stepped up to the plate?

Here are my suggestions for some of the great (and not so great) pro baseball players:

Past the Point of No Return” from Phantom of the Opera
for Tony Womack of the Yankees, no explanation needed.

I walk the line” by Johnny Cash
for Hideo Nomo of the Devil Rays – a 6.80 ERA, almost as many walks as strikeouts.

Help” by The Beatles
for Cristian Guzman of the Nationals - His .239 OBP is the lowest of any qualifier in all of baseball.

Stayin’ Alive” by the BeeGees
for Satchel Paige, who was the oldest player to participate in an All-Star Game at 47 years, seven days (1953).

The Sound of Silence” by Simon and Garfunkel
for Dan Kolb of the Braves who’s walked 23 batters in 32 innings.

Both Sides, Now” by Joni Mitchell
for Billy Bean of the Padres who has played for both teams, and no I am not talking about AL or NL.

You can’t always get what you want” by The Rolling Stones
for Omar Infante of the Tigers who is going to be in for a lot more bench time in the near future after the acquisition of Placido Polanco and the recent return from the DL of Carlos Guillen.

Everybody hurts” by REM
for Aaron Boone of the Indians who is The worst player in baseball this season not named Tony Womack or Cristian Guzman.

I wanna be sedated” by The Ramones
for Jackie Robinson, who is said to have suffered from pronounced symptoms of mental disorder, particularly depression. (We still love ya Jackie!)

I feel good” by James Brown
for Derrek Lee of the Cubs who currently has a .377 BA

Born to Run” by Bruce Springsteen
for Bob Hayes of the Cowboys – (yeah, I know that’s NFL, but it was too hard to figure that out for baseball)

Whole Lotta Shaking Going On” by Jerry Lee Lewis
for Ben Petrick of the Rockies who has Parkinson’s disease. (I know, that was mean)

Light My Fire” by The Doors
for Kenny Rogers of the Rangers who received a 20 game suspension for his tirade last week against two TV cameramen that left one of them in the hospital.

Superstitious” by Stevie Wonder
for Wade Boggs of the Red Sox, who would eat only chicken the day of a game, and used to draw a symbol that means “To Life” in the dirt before every at-bat.

I fought the law” by Bobby Fuller Four
for Darryl Strawberry, who was an All-Star player years ago, but now he's just another guy with a growing rap sheet.

The Boxer” by Simon and Garfunkel
for Bo Jackson who is still confused about which sport he wants to play.

Let’s get it on” by Marvin Gay
for Javy Lopez of the Orioles who is smokin’ hot! (For a baseball player)


Tune in tomorrow when I suggest some intro music for our favorite celebs!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My intro music would be "Machine Head" by Bush.

10:31 AM, July 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are really interesting stats Jaz... Almost as interesting as when I read them the first time at: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3740584

5:43 PM, July 08, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home